Oddly large and long insect
Location:  Troutdale, Oregon.
I was outside picking up after my children this evening. It was dark, and I noticed this oddly large and long insect, it seemed to be rather aggresive when I scooped him/her up to take a picture. It was crawling over a graveled area next to my lawn. (there is quite alot of grass and weeds growing through the gravel) I spent nearly two hours online trying to identify the critter with no success. I would be very interested to know what type of insect this is, as I have never before scene one. It was approximately 1 inch long, with large mandibles, and the tail section curved upwards when threatened, like you would see a scorpions tail do, along with the mandibles opening.
Thank you so much for your assistance.
Jason
Troutdale, Oregon

Devil's Coach Horse

Dear Jason,
Though it looks more like a larva, this Devil’s Coach Horse
, Ocypus olens, a species of Rove Beetle, is actually a mature adult.  It was introduced from Europe in the mid twentieth century.  These are predators and we have read that they will eat snails and slugs.