beetle thing with long beak
Location:  Farmingdale, Long Island, New York
Dear Mr. Bugman,
I’ve been browsing your site and haven’t really found anything close to this little guy I found today. I work at an airport in New York, and I found him while I was pumping fuel into my fuel truck. It looks kinda like a beetle, but it has this really strange beak. The beak is thin and about the length of one of its legs. And it looks like it has two antennae (?) protruding from the beak. The insect itself is about a centimeter long, I would say. This is the strangest insect I’ve seen in a while. I really hope you get to this one because I really want to know what it is!
Trevor

Acorn Weevil

Hi Trevor,
This interesting beetle is an Acorn Weevil in the genus
Curculio.  According to BugGuide:  “Female uses her long snout for boring into nuts/acorns, and deposits eggs there. Larvae feed inside the acorn/nut and emerges to pupate in the soil.

One Response to Acorn Weevil

1. angryyankee says:

I came across one of these guys crawling up my wall today. First time seeing a weevil before.