Orchid Spider?
Location:  Southeast
This spider had spun a beautiful web with a zig zag down the middle. We figured it was some type of orb spider and ran to the computer to check it out on WTB. Seems to fit the descrip of a Orchid Spider. Are we correct. It is on the corner of our deck door… should we leave it be? Do the markings mean anything?
dlhickory

Golden Orbweaver

Dear dlhickory,
This is a Golden Orbweaver,
Argiope aurantia, a spider frequently called a Writing Spider because of the zigzag stabilimentum it weaves into its web (See BugGuide).  We don’t know where you got the information about the Orchid Spider because it is not on our website, and a web search of those terms brings up information on spider orchids.

6 Responses to Golden Orbweaver

1. cali17 says:

I think this person means “orchard” spider, which is also a commonly seen orbweaver in the gardens.

We also suspected the same, but we hate making assumptions about our reader’s letters. We were hoping dlhickory would write with a clarification.

2. Valeria says:

I was perusing your site and got curious about this. I did some digging and found a paper at bio-nica.info (here: http://www.bio-nica.info/biblioteca/Tso2006SpidersColorful.pdf) and they gave the Orchid Spider’s proper name as Leucauge magnifica. Not sure if that helps but thought I’d let you know what I found. =) I tried looking for pictures as well, but all of the ones I found of a high enough resolution to actually attempt a decent identification were labeled as Orchid Spiders and were actually Orchard Spiders.

Thanks so much for the link. We agree with you that the Orchid Spider is probably a mistake and that the Orchard Spider is the indicated species.