Longhorn Beetle
Location:  Fairfield, Maine USA
I think I found a Flower Longhorn Beetle (Stictoleptura canadensis) on my Land Cruiser. I wonder why it was so far from the meadow and flowers…Can you please confirm/dis-confirm the I.D. and share any interesting info about this beetle?
Thank you,
James R

Banded Longhorn

Hi James,
We agree that your beetle is
Stictoleptura canadensis, and the BugGuide information page is noticeably lean on information.  It is a Flower Longhorn which means that though the larvae are wood borers, the adults feed on pollen.  The data page on BugGuide indicates the species is found in both eastern and western North America from Canada to Arizona.  According to the Cirrus Image website, the species is called the Banded Longhorn.

Banded Longhorn

Strange, I thought this (see attached) was the Banded Longhorn because of this image I found on B.G…
I guess the names are a little general?
Thank you,
James

Hi James,
Common names do not have the rigorous degree of regulation that scientific names have, though because there are not many fact checkers, there are often incorrect identifications posted on the internet.  That is why we like to have “credible” websites for our links.  The link you provided is an unidentified Longhorned Borer Beetle, but we followed information on the page to the bugGuide information page for the Banded Longhorn,
Typocerus velutinus.  If BugGuide is using the common name Banded Longhorn, it must be an officially accepted common name.

Hello Daniel,
Wow, thanks for the info and the additional identification!
It’s incredible that so many bugs and insects are even identified, at all.
Best regards,
James