Desert Bug
Location:  San Diego, CA
i saw this bug on a night hike in southern california. A desert climate. Along side scorpions.
please help,
Jason RItter

Sun Spider

Hi Jason,
This harmless Arachnid is commonly called a Sun Spider or Wind Scorpion, though it is in its own order Solifugae.  We are going to try to begin to break ourselves of the habit of calling it a Solpugid, an obsolete term, and begin using the more taxonomically correct name Solifugid.  They are formidable predators and larger specimen might be capable of producing a painful bite that draws blood, but they lack venom.  See BugGuide for additional information.

6 Responses to Sun Spider

1. Judy Bondar says:

I caught one of these inside my house in the San Bernardino Mountains, about 5,000 feet altitude.
    After some crazy searching, I believe this is what I caught. My cat was trying to catch it and it move incredibly fast. I have never seen one of these before. I actually thought it was related to the “potato” bug. Are they common in the mountains? If not, how did it get there?

2. cece says:

We find these things every year in our home. When we first moved in we saw tons, now not so much(probably because the environment is disturbed more due to many occupying the home than before there was only 1 person in a big home. The weird thing is is we find them in the bath tub and bathroom sink only(I assume they are more places but once they find their way to the porcelin tubs they cant escape. Please tell me how they get thee and more about them. I have a great picture of one of the more recent finds. to whom can I send that for correct identification?

3. Greg says:

I’ve found 2 of these in my house here in Fresno CA and about three more outside over a period of about 18 months. Is there a good way of keeping them out of the house? They are pretty creepy & I don’t want to find one in the bed! I’ve been putting diatomaceous earth & boric acid around the house & selected places indoors.

Seal up the gaps near your windows and doors.

• Joel says:

I live in Fresno as well and I have been in my house 7 years and I have seen 3 in my 7 years. They are very creepy and I thought it was a camel spider at first. Matter of fact I just killed one tonight.