Ladybug – Black with 2 yellow eye spots
Location:  (Southern CA) Newhall California 91321
Hey There Bugman
I have a background in Entomology but I cant identify this ladybug. Can you help? I have never found one quite like this. It definately has that ”Mimic” sort of eye spots going for it check it out. Found Summer 2010 on Blackberry
Chris Irons

Multicolored Asian Lady Beetle

Hi Chris,
Sadly, some of the important characteristics, like the markings on the thorax, are missing from your photos because of the camera angle and the leaf in the foreground, but we believe we have found a close match with a photo of a Multicolored Asian Lady Beetle,
Harmonia axyridis, that is posted on BugGuide.  The BugGuide information page for the species does indicate a C Spot pattern, but your pattern is reversed from the one illustrated.

Lady Beetle

Correction: November 23, 2010
We just received the following comment correcting our previous identification:  “This is Olla v-nigrum. Harmonia has more wide white parts on thorax and, as mentioned above, reversed C-shaped spot.

5 Responses to Ashy Gray Lady Beetle, dark form

1. rcirons says:

I think you probably made a great guess. Thanks for your help. I figured it would fly away before I could catch it, and I didnt want to damage it either.

What wonderful diversity this species has.

2. nedved says:

This is Olla v-nigrum. Harmonia has more wide white parts on thorax and, as mentioned above, reversed C-shaped spot.

Thanks again for this correction. Your efforts to properly identify all of our misidentifications regarding the Asian Multicolored Lady Beetle are greatly appreciated.

3. rcirons says:

Wow! Sorry this response is comming so late. Thank you to all for your efforts and shared knowledge. I have never seen another lady beetle like this although I am always looking.

4. RGAD says:

I live in Hawaii and saw an Ashy gray lady beetle that was black spots on a light gray body.