Morman cricket maybe
Location:  outside of Pine, AZ USA
Hey I was hiking in the pines around the mogollon rim near Pine, AZ USA. Between 4000 and 5000 feet above sea level. Found this one under a rock. About an inch and a half long. Figure its some type of katydid but not too sure.
Jeremy in AZ

Shieldback Katydid

Hi Jeremy,
Based on BugGuide imagery, we believe you are correct that this is a Mormon Cricket,
Anabrus simplex, or at least one of the Shieldbacked Katydids in the family TettigoniinaeThe long swordlike ovipositor indicates she is a female.  We will verify this identification with Katydid expert Piotr Naskrecki.

Mormon Cricket

Piotr Naskrecki makes a Correction
September 20, 2010
Please forgive this late reply, I only got back from remote forests of Suriname a few days ago.
The katydid in the photo is not a mormon cricket. It is a related shield-back katydid, almost certainly of the genus Eremopedes. Not sure of the species – it resembles E. balli, but the ovipositor is a bit too long.
Cheers,
Piotr Naskrecki, Ph. D.
Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University