Gallinipper Mosquito
Location:  Kendall County, Illinois
I believe that this is the Psorophora ciliata, or Gallinipper Mosquito. It seems to be an aggressive day biter. I thought you might like the photo. We live in Northern Illinois and this is the first year I have noticed these. We have had a ridiculous amount of rain this year though.
Stacy C

Gallinipper

Hi Stacy,
As we just noted in the immediately preceeding posting, we love getting preidentified insects that would be time consuming for us to research.  We are linking to the BugGuide page on the Gallinipper which indicates this “large mosquito” has a diet that includes “Males and females feed on nectar, females said to seek bloodmeals from large mammals. Females bloodfeed day and night and are able to bite through heavy clothing.
”  The Galveston Mosquito Control website indicates:  “It is the largest blood sucking mosquito in the U.S. Commonly referred to as the ‘Shaggy-legged’ Gallinipper. It is easy to identify by its large size and it inflicts a painful bite. Rarely found in large numbers. The larvae are large and are predacious upon other larvae. ”   It is also indicated that adults can fly from one to two miles.

11 Responses to Gallinipper Mosquito

1. Inez says:

WOOOW!! R the Gallinipper mosquito only around where there is alot of rain?? or water, basically in what states do they live in?? Because I am from colorado, and i was wondering if they can possibly come here?? Thank you very much

2. Sally keys says:

I have them in Oklahoma their lava is everywhere

3. Lindsay says:

Hi, I go to school at Texas A&M University at Galveston. The school and dorms are located on Pelican Island, which is located only a few hundred years off Galveston Main Island and is connected via bridge. The mosquitoes are known to be terrible during the summer/fall and warmer months of spring. And by terrible, I mean swarms… You could be walking to class and have at least twenty-thirty mosquitoes following you. The school sprays every few weeks and releases thousands of dragonflies to help… But this only works for a week or two and then it will rain again. (Pelican Island is like a huge marsh and is virtually untouched.)

However, we students have been noticing something strange this year… The mosquitoes are abnormally big… some are up to a inch in length. We have had to cancel several events do to these mosquitoes. Could these be Gallinippers? If so, how’d they get over here? I thought it was just Florida…..

The Gallinipper Mosquito has an extensive range in North America, according to BugGuide, and that includes Texas. We didn’t realize there was time travel in Texas, unless you meant “a few hundred yards” and not “a few hundred years.” We are also quite curious where the university gets its supply of Dragonflies to release.

4. Lindsay says:

oh and i think the school releases hundreds of dragon flies not thousands lol

5. Mckenzie says:

i have never seen these before in champaign-urbana, Illinois and I was bitten twice in the last couple of days. It was like getting stung by a bee. 🙁

6. Lisa S. says:

They are definitely present in the Charleston, S.C. area.

7. Mark Kessler says:

Has anyone found one as big as a quarter