Should I be concerned?
Location:  Michigan United States
We found this giant in our yard (two so far)and they look very intimidating. Should we call in some experts?
Matt Cristoforo

Pigeon Horntail

Hi Matt,
Before we can accurately respond to your question, we need to have concern defined.  Are you concerned you may be stung?  That is not a concern with this Pigeon Horntail,
Tremex columba (see BugGuide), a type of wood wasp.  This is a female, and what appears to be a stinger is really an ovipositor.  The female oviposits her eggs in dead or dying wood, so you may have a dead or dying tree on your property.  You may need to be concerned if there is a wind storm and you have a family reunion under the dying tree and a branch breaks off striking several friends or relatives on the head.  That could lead to a concussion or even worse.  Do you need an expert?  We don’t know.  Are you capable of cutting down a dead or dying tree yourself?  If not, we suggest calling in professionals.

Very Nice!!  Thank you for your witty response.  You have indeed identified the pest….my relatives.  And your extermination suggestion is definitely worth looking into.  Looks like I’ll have to move that table a little closer to the tree.  Thanks again
Matthew T. Cristoforo