unknown grasshopper
Location:  Beja, Portugal
Hello from Portugal. I need help identifying this grasshopper. I don’t know if it is a nymph (juvenile). It was found in Beja, Portugal, near water. Lengh was aproximately 1,5 cm.
Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Filipe Caetano

Immature Migratory  Locust

Hi Filipe,
We don’t get many requests from Portugal, so we are very determined to identify your grasshopper.  It does appear to be a nymph, both because of the size of the wings and the size of the specimen.  We tried a web search of grasshopper Portugal and found a nice Flickr page posted by Valter Jacinto, but your individual does not appear to be represented among his numerous photographs.  Two of his images in particular have similarities to your specimen.  The first is labeled Gafanhoto // Toad Grasshopper (Eumigus ayresi), female
The second is labeled Gafanhoto da família Pamphagidae // Toad Grasshopper (Acinipe sp.), male nymphWe wonder if your specimen might be classified among the Toad Grasshoppers in the family Pamphagidae.  We will post your letter and photo in our featured section and we hope one of our readers can supply some assistance.

Piotr Naskrecki provided an inentification
Incidentally, the unknown grasshopper from Portugal is a nymph of the migratory locust (Locusta migratoria.)
Cheers,
Piotr

Location: Portugal