Very strange yellow bug
Location:  San Antonio, Texas
I saw this bug on the garage door of a house while visiting Texas during the summer. Personally I thought it looked like a strange mix of an albino cockroach and a spider, and the largest bug I have ever seen outside of a zoo. It must have been just a little smaller than my hand. I’ve asked many other people but they can’t seem to figure it out, would love to know.
Thanks, Katy

Central Texas Leaf Katydid

Really Katy did you never see your namesake bug, a Katydid?
We believe this to be a Central Texas Leaf Katydid or Truncated True Katydid,
Paracyrtophyllus robustus.  According to BugGuide, they:  “Feed on Oaks. During outbreaks, they are known for defoliating Post Oak (Quercus stellata) and plateau live oak (Quercus fusiformis). The ovipositor jutting from under the wing tips indicates that this is a female.  The typical coloration of this species if green (see BugGuide), and they are sometimes red (see BugGuide), but yellow is a new color variation for us.  For that reason, we are going to contact Katydid expert Piotr Naskrecki for verification of the identification and to get his opinion on the frequency of this color variation.

Piotr Naskrecki confirms identification
The yellow katydid on your website does indeed look like Paracyrtophyllus robustus. Yellow and pink morphs are not uncommon.
Cheers,
Piotr