Have not seen this before
Location:  Patchogue, NY on Long Island. Close to the Great South Bay.
I live on Long Island in New York State.
I found this bug relaxing on the side of my home. I have never seen this type of bug before. It is a little more than long.
What is it?
Dean

Black Horse Fly

Hi Dean,
This behemoth of a fly is a Black Horse Fly,
Tabanus atratus.  Your photograph enables us to identify him as a male because of the close placement of the eyes.  The eyes of a female are spaced farther apart.  Only female Horse Flies bite.

7 Responses to Black Horse Fly

1. Celina Michaeli says:

I found one in Chatham Ontario. Canada is that normal?? I’ve never seen one before?

2. Cheryl says:

I found one of those huge black flies on my third floor balcony this morning here in Peterborough, Ontario. Why is it that most of us have never seen these giants?

3. Mel says:

I saw one today in Greely, Ontario. It was so large I thought it was a moth.. Lol
    glad the males don’t bite at least 🙂

4. L Crystal R says:

Hi there, I hope someone reads this in 2021! 🙂 I was hoping someone might know about any diseases this fly might be able to transfer to hu.ans….?… I’m personally dealing with a situation concerning possible parasitic infection; and I’ve been seeing this “fly” hanging out for the last 3 days. It’s not dead, I know for sure cause when I took It’s picture, it stirred it up a bit….Anyway, thought I’d give my hopes and luck a shot here at your site and forum. 🙂 Thank You Truly,
    L Crystal R

5. L Crystal R says:

Ps from L Crystal R…I cannot seem to figure out how to post a picture of the creature ! I’m still trying ~