Was that a hummingbird?!
Location:  NE Georgia mountains
At first that’s what we thought, then realized it is a bit too small (about 2-1/2 inches. But it was on our petunias and another flower, grabbing nectar like a butterfly, never stopped beating its wings. Appeared harmless enough. We are in the mountains of NE Georgia (USA), August.
bpurvis

Hummingbird Clearwing

Dear bpurvis,
We just finished posting another photo of this hummingbird impersonator.  It is a Hummingbird Clearwing Moth,
Hemaris thysbe.

Correction
correction re Hummingbird Clearwing
the photos today (Aug. 14th) that you ID’ed as Snowberry Clearwing actually appear to be Hemaris thysbe, often called a Hummingbird Clearwing.  According to BugGuide.net, the correct binomial for Snowberry Clearwing is Hemaris diffinis.
It’s the one without the combo of rust and light green.  Thanks for maintaining your site, it must be a lot of work!
regards, Dave Fallow in Madison WI

2 Responses to Another Hummingbird Clearwing

1. Ken Bingham says:

We just spotted one here in Ash Grove Missouri.

2. Rebecca McMannis says:

we just got a video of one on my phone in my flowerbed sanctuary. We had no idea if this was a hummingbird/bee/insect, so we took a good quality close up video of it. We are in Stockport, Ohio