What is this? Prehistoric??
Location:  Indiana
Hi, I was outside waiting for a friend, I was leaning on my door frame, and I felt a like pinch or sting, and so I stood up and this is what I saw!!
I live in Indiana, it has been in the high 90’s all week, we have had some rain this summer and high humidity.
I have some pics for you, this bug is about 1/2 inch long nmd maybe same wide, probably not as long..
Please let me know if you can, thanks!
Heather Kreeger

Decapitated Head, but from what???

Hi Heather,
We believe this is a decapitated head.  It looks similar to the head of a Preying Mantis (see BugGuide), but not exactly.  We will contact Eric Eaton for assistance.  We suspect the body of this insect was eaten by a predator.

Update:  We believe we figured it out after sleeping on it.
August 13, 2010
It looks like the head of a Cicada (see BugGuide).  Perhaps a bird feasted upon the body and left the head behind.  Cicadas have piercing and sucking mouthparts, and it is possible that there were still some nerves active, and though the Cicada was “dead”, the head was still able to bite.  Though Cicadas are not considered to be biting insects, we have received reports in the past that a person has been bitten, and it was reported to be quite painful.

2 Responses to What's That Decapitated Head??? MIght it be a Cicada???

1. lula says:

Cicada, right?

Hi lula,
      We just awoke and went back to the picture and we figured it out. We believe you are correct as well. A Cicada head seems correct.