bug with a crab-like claw?
Location:  Amherst, NY near Buffalo
Hi –
I encountered this interesting looking creature while walking my dog on the lawn of my condo complex in Suburban Buffalo, NY in mid-August. It’s about 3 inches long and appears to have a crab-like claw on the right side.
Never saw anything quite that big around here!
Many thanks!
Sheri

Crayfish

Hi Sheri,
This Crayfish is a freshwater crustacean but they can survive out of the water.  Crayfish are also called Clawfish, Crawfish and Crawdads.

Thank you, Daniel!  I thought it looked a bit like a small lobster or possibly a crayfish, but we’re not that close to a fresh water source (perhaps a mile or so from the nearest creek).
Really appreciate your assistance.
Best,
Sheri

Hi Again Sheri,
Crayfish are able to survive out of the water.  It is possible that this Crayfish was captured and accidentally dropped by a bird or other predator, or even left by a human.  It is also possible that the area where it was found is low lying land that floods when it rains.  Crayfish will dig into the mud and produce a type of chimney around the burrow.  When we were young, we often encountered Crayfish chimneys in fields far from a source of water.