Is this a beetle?
Location:  Southern Oregon
Hi. There is a huge beetle on my window screen. The body measured 1.5” and the antennae are probably the same. I live out in the woods of southern Oregon and keep getting weird bugs trying to get in but this one is creepy. I can’t get a good picture of the head or mandibles (which are huge!). Can you please tell me what this is? Thanks. 🙂
Anna

California Root Borer

Hi Anna,
This impressive beetle is a California Root Borer,
Prionus californicus.  The mandibles are necessary so that the adult beetle can chew its way to the surface after pupation.  The larvae bore in rotting wood that is in contact with soil and they pupate inside the wood.  Adults, especially males, are attracted to lights.  Your specimen is a male judging by his antennae.  This is the second image of a California Root Borer we are posting this morning.

3 Responses to Another California Root Borer

1. Nira says:

Thanks! I just had one of these bad boys hit the screen behind my head! Glad to be able to identify it before I take it into the kid school tomorrow. Thanks you guys!

2. Nira says:

We are located outside Jamul California and it is June 5, 2014