What is this??
Location:  tillsonburg, ON Canada
We have noticed a couple of these very large creatures in our yard lately – they dont seem agressive but we have children and since they are about half the size of my thumb I wish they’d vacate 🙂 They are very large bodied and are black with white spots…any idea what they are?? Strange looking overgrown deer/horse flies??
Curious in Canada

Tiger Bee Fly

Dear Curious in Canada,
The Tiger Bee Fly you have photographed is a harmless pollinator and you have nothing to fear from it.

Boy thats great to hear — never seen such a large fly!!
THANKS!!!
Mrs. Moy Harries

8 Responses to Tiger Bee Fly

1. Sandra Ramirez says:

I leave in Philadelphia , Pa. and I have these bees on my back yard for the first time I have never seen them before they just appeared on my deck. Should I be worried and what should I do about them I have small kids and I am worried .

Thank you
    Worried mom!

2. Catherine says:

I have a couple of these near my house. It looks like one is coming out of the railing on my deck (back end is sticking out). Do they chew on wood? How do they hatch?

3. Anthony Gotz says:

What places do they live

4. Joshua tuttle says:

How do you get rid of them?
    From TN

5. Salvatore A Lucido says:

I live in toledo ohio and I have quite a few in my front yard near my wind chimes on my porch just think it’s amazing that they are traveled to far

6. Luke says:

Just saw one today in Houston for the first time ever. Beautiful, large, and docile.