Flying Crustacean?
Location:  11768 (Fort Salonga, NY)
This beautiful mothlike creature, which looked like a crayfish with wings, was fluttering around my butterfly bush (buddleia, 8/6/09). The sound of its wings resembled that of a card stuck in bicycle spokes (it flew continuously while gathering nectar). I’d love to know what it was!
Nancy M. Hollinshead

Hummingbird Clearwing Moth

Hi Nancy,
Though we already responded personally with a brief identification, upon rereading your email, we love your vivid description of both the appearance and sound, so we decided to post your letter and fine photograph of a Hummingbird Clearwing Moth, Hemaris thysbe, so that our readership will know that if they hear the sound of a card stuck in bicycle spokes while in the garden, there may be a specimen nearby.  You may read more about the Hummingbird Clearwing Moth on Bill Oehlke’s excellent website.

One Response to Hummingbird Clearwing

1. Nesira says:

I was able to identify one of these little guys on my butterfly bush thanks to this website 🙂