Bug on Curravasica milkweed
Location:  Western PA Greensburg area
I grow this plant to attract monarchs. They love this milkweed. I have had a lot of missing in action caterpillars this year. Have found many assassin bugs so that may be an issue. What do you think this creature is?
Joyce P.

Ailanthus Webworm Moth

Hi Joyce,
This is an Ailanthus Webworm Moth, and it seems we get several identification requests for it each day.  It is a native species, but it is named for the noxious, invasive, exotic weed tree, the Ailanthus or Tree of Heaven.  The adopted food plant is readily available, so the Ailanthus Webworm Moth is becoming more plentiful.  Sadly, no matter how many leaves the caterpillars consume, there is no chance of the Ailanthus being eradicated.

3 Responses to Numerous Recent Reports: Ailanthus Webworm Moth

1. Lindsay says:

Just seen one of these flying in my kitchen. I live in Michigan, and I have never seen one like this before. Glad I could identify it. Thanks!

2. Kerri E says:

Just found one in Dayton, OH, hanging out on our bathroom window at midnight. Beautiful markings! Thought it was a beetle until it took flight.