Green thing!?
Location:  London
Hi there,
This thing appeared in my bathroom and has been chilling on the ceiling for the last few days, can’t for the life of me figure out what it is, seems pretty cool though, the images show it has some sort of hoop on it’s tail – I’d love to know what it is – I live in London so perhaps it’s not too exotic …
Marc

Long Horned Orthopteran

Hi Gene,
This is a Long Horned Orthopteran in the suborder Ensifera, and we believe it may be in the Cricket family Gryllidae.  We are going to contact Piotr Naskrecki, and expert in Orthopterans, to get his input.

Piotr Naskrecki responds
This is a male of the oak katydid (or bush cricket, as they call them in the UK), Meconema thalassinum (Tettigoniidae: Meconematinae.) This species has been introduced to the US, and is now very common in New England.
Cheers,
Piotr

Thanks for the lightning fast response, very strange that I opened my bathroom door and the poor fella had died and was on the floor …
Anyway, thanks again – keep up the good work!
Marc