bug that looks like dead hibiscus flower
Location:  Dallas/Ft. Worth Texas
I found this caterpillar? slowly moving up my door jam in Texas and had never seen anything like it. Could you possibly identify it. I didn’t disturb it so I’m not sure if it is a flying or crawling bug. It moved up the door jam over several hours time. Thanks! Michele
Michele Bennett

Bagworm

Hi Michele,
This is a Bagworm in the family Psychidae.  Bagworms are moth caterpillars that fashion a bag from the foliage of the plants they feed upon.  Bagworms will migrate away from the food plant to find a suitable place for pupation, and they pupate inside the bag.  The males of the species fly but the females are legless and wingless and do not leave the bag.  After mating, the eggs are laid inside the bag to begin a new generation.

Wow! Thanks for your quick response.  I was fascinated by “it” but now I realize I will need to kill it or it will continue to ruin my hibiscus plant right outside my front door.  Thanks again.  What a great site and service you have.
Michele