Curious what this odd-looking insect is.
Location:  Elk River, MN
Bugman,
I was at a family gathering in Elk River, Minnesota on August 8th when I spotted this bug reared up on its hind legs atop the leaf of a bush in my father-in-law’s front yard. When I took my camera out to snap a photo, it quickly retreated underneath the leaf, and it jumped away when I tried to get it to climb on my finger.
I was wondering if you could take a gander at the picture and help me identify exactly what it is i took a picture of. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
J Bistodeau

Two Spotted Tree Cricket

Hi J,
This is a Tree Cricket, most likely a Two Spotted Tree Cricket,
Neoxabea bipunctata.  The markings on the dorsal surface help to identify this species, and they are barely visible in your profile view.  You can read more about the species on BugGuide.

My utmost thanks for your reply! I used the link, and looked up two spotted tree crickets. You are indeed correct in your identification! Thank you so much! Sorry the markings weren’t too clear on that picture – I took several pictures of it, and that was the only one that came out clear (all the other ones, the leaves were in focus but the bug was not). I am glad you were able to clear up my mystery for me! I am forever grateful!
Thank you,
Jason Bistodeau

2 Responses to Two Spotted Tree Cricket

1. LACE168 says:

I am so glad to see this post! I had sent an e-mail & photo a couple weeks ago asking for help in identifying this insect that I’d never seen before, and now I don’t have to keep wondering what it is!! Thank you!!!