luna moth and caterpillar question
Location:  West Columbia, Brazoria, Texas
I know you get a lot of luna moth pictures, but this is the first one I have ever seen. This is the second of 2 I saw that day, July 16, 2010. The first appeared to be injured and hung out on a banana plant all day. This one seemed healthy and stayed on the fence most of the day. After looking at all the beautiful pictures on your website, I was really happy to see one.
The caterpillar I saw the same day and I was hoping you could help me identify it. Thank you!
John in SE Texas

Pandora Sphinx Caterpillar

Hi John,
This is a late instar of the green morph of a Pandora Sphinx Caterpillar,
Eumorpha pandorus.  Caterpillars of Sphinx Moths in the family Sphingidae are commonly called Hornworms since most possess a caudal horn.  The Pandora Sphinx loses its horn in its final molts before becoming a pupa.  The caterpillar is commonly seen in orange and brown morphs as well as the green one you have found.  We recommend visiting Bill Oehlke’s page on the Pandora Sphinx.