Robber Fly
Location:  Mayfield, KY
I know I have identified my bug as a robber fly, but it is not the red footed one chosen for the month of August. I have a set of pictures I’d like to share of the robber fly I found on the bush near my house. In the second photo, I noticed a lot of tiny life. There is some kind of larvae near his one foot where he is hanging on the plant. There are oleander aphids visible also. I thought the pictures showed a lot of detail on the robber fly. He looks positively wicked!
Hope you enjoy them.
Janet Fox

Hanging Thief devours Honey Bee

Hi Janet,
This magnificent Robber Fly is a Hanging Thief in the genus
Diogmites, and they are called Hanging Thieves because of their habit of hanging, often from a single leg, while consuming their prey.  We found a photo on BugGuide that matches your specimen, but it is not identified to the species level.  We hope our continued searching will provide a species name for your formidable predator.  We thought that the abdominal markings might be an identifying feature, but browsing through the Diogmites species on BugGuide revealed too many possibilities that look similar for us to attempt a species classification.

Hanging Thief

Ed. Note: August 9, 2010
It is really impossible for our small staff to respond to all queries, and we were searching older letters for something, and we came across this email from Janet prior to the email above.  We would like to remind our readership that if you do not get a response after a week, please resubmit your request with all relevant information and please reattach the image.  DO NOT just send an email inquiring if we got your previous email because then we need to hunt through all unanswered mail.  We apologize for our limitations.

Janet’s Original Request
Strange bug
Location:  Mayfield, KY
I have recently started on some nature photography. We have a bush next to our driveway that has a vine growing on it. I have found that the small white flowers on the vine is a host for many bugs. I was out there the other day and saw a very strange looking bug. It looked like a mutation of a dragonfly and a mosquito. I got a couple pictures of it, then focused on something else. Next time I looked for it, it was higher up the bush and had caught a honey bee. I watched as he stuck his needle nose into the neck area several times. Then he turned the bee around and stuck him in the hind end. Then he turned the bee around a couple more times, then stuck his straw nose into the back end to (I assume) drink his insides. I have looked up predatory insects and can not find this particular bug. Can you tell me what it is?
Sincerely, Janet Fox