Female Wolf Spider???
Location:  Merrimack, NH
I stalked and named this beauty, Ilsa. Honestly, I stalk bugs all the time, but since she stays in the same place, I am kinda attached to her.
These images are of her during a web cleansing. Really was awesome to watch and photograph. She reeled in each strand, fed on the little carcasses and then wadded them up under her, and then cut the line when she finished.
Cynthia Kiernan

Orbweaver: Gray Cross Spider

Hi Cynthia,
This is most definitely not a Wolf Spider.  She is an Orbweaver in the family Araneidae.  Orbweavers rarely leave their webs and they can be quite clumsy when they are forced to, despite the grace they have while negotiating the strands of their own webs.  You may read more about the family on BugGuide and compare “Ilsa” to the photos posted there.  Sadly, we do not feel competent to identify Lisa to the species level, though we suspect her genus is
Araneus.  Your observations of “Ilsa’s” feeding habits is quite interesting.

Orbweaver: Gray Cross Spider

Daniel…ilsa, not Lisa 🙂  and for the info, Thanks!!!

Ed. Note:
Correction made.

Species Identification courtesy of Eric Eaton
August 11, 2010
Hi, Daniel:
Went through the site and found only a few minor corrections/clarifications, most recent to oldest: …
… Orb Weaver from Merrinack, New Hampshire:  Larinioides sclopetarius (“Gray CrossSpider”)…
…Is the book out for everybody yet?  If so, I’ll link it to my blog, share on Facebook, etc.  I did get the pre-order e-mail from you.

Thanks Eric,
We can now link to the BugGuide
information page on the Gray Cross Spider.  The book will be available in October 2010.