non-Pelecinid?
Location:  near Casper, WY
Hi Lisa Anne and Daniel,
When I photographed this creature on goldenrod 8/1/10, I thought I was looking at a Pelecinid. Now I don’t think so, I have no idea what it is. Can you identify it?
Am looking forward to your book.
Thanks much,
Dwaine

Crown of Thorns Wasp

Hi Dwaine,
This is a new one for us.  You are correct that it is NOT a Pelecinid.  Our initial impulse was perhaps an Ichneumon, but the antennae and other morphological features are just plain wrong, but we were certain, based on that ovipositor, that it must be a parasitic Hymenopteran.  We quickly located the Crown of Thorns Wasp,
Megischus bicolor, within the family Stephanidae on BugGuide which indicates they are “Parasitoids of beetles and/or wasps.

Location: Casper, Wyoming

3 Responses to Crown of Thorns Wasp

1. philip hallam says:

I recently took photo of one in uk cheshire is that normal as I have never seen one

Our quick research did not produce any information on the Crown of Thorns Wasp in the UK, but perhaps our search was just not thorough enough. We just don’t know.

2. Warren Minns says:

In the UK it will be Gasteruptiidae, probably Gasteruption jaculator, they do not have the crown of ocelli, but are morphologically very similar.