Black Swallowtail Baby Mama to Baby Prelude to Black Swallowtail Metamorphosis
Location:  Centreville, VA
Hi – I have been raising Black Swallowtails and Monarchs in my garden for a couple of years now. This year I was lucky enough to see the eggs being laid.

Black Swallowtail Oviposits

I did an egg check everynight so I know for a fact the time line. These were laid on July 31 and hatched the morning of Aug 5. Just so exciting to me!
Bev Basham

Black Swallowtail Eggs

Hi Bev,
This is wonderful documentation for our readership.  We generally hear about Black Swallowtail Caterpillars feeding on carrot greens or parsley, but it appears the food plant in your garden is something different.  Might it be Queen Anne’s Lace?  Can you please provide us with the identity of the food plant in the event others want to try to support the generation of Black Swallowtails in the home garden?

Newly Hatched Black Swallowtail Caterpillar

I think I sent the worst of two pictures of the butterfly laying eggs. This is a better shot. The plant is Bronze Fennel. I have a butterfly garden at my son’s school and the Fennel we planted there is a different version and it is taking over the world, it’s over 10 ft tall and throws seeds everywhere so we are replacing it next year with this version which seems to be shorter. I’m so glad you liked the shots. I have a pretty good macro on my camera and really enjoy getting the close up pictures of insects. There is so much more to them than we see with our eyes.

Maybe I did send the right one the first time, once it was gone I had no way of checking. I just got in from checking on the little cats and they have at least doubled in size. The first day they hatched we had a horrendous thunder storm here with high winds and I thought they got washed away but they were holding on tight. Now if I can just keep the earwigs away.

Location: Virginia

One Response to Black Swallowtail: Egg Laying, Eggs and First Instar Caterpillar

1. vfal says:

This is the first time I ever saw this caterpillar on my parsley and have watch them grow (I have two) but now I cannot find them. Where would I find their cocoons? One day the caterpillars were huge and the next day they were gone. I have one more little one that I would like to nurture to a butterfly stage. Is there something I should be doing? I live in CT so I am afraid the weather will get to cool too soon.