Frilled head probiscus and fangs?
Location:  West Texas
I photographed this bug on the giant Texas reeds in my backyard. I live in West Texas – temps have been in the low 100s for about a week. I pay a lot of attention to the insects and spiders in my yard, but have never seen anything like this.
When I first saw it, I would have sworn it was a spider based on its size and the way it moved, but on closer inspection, only 6 legs were visible. The head is noticeably frilled along a crest that ran from front to back on the head. There’s also an apparent proboscis with what appears to be reddish fangs tucked under the snout. The antennae are also reddish while the overall color of the bug is in shades of grey and black.
DeeJay

Wheel Bug

Hi Will,
We have numerous images of Wheel Bugs in our archives, but we haven’t posted a photograph of an adult Wheel Bug in some time, so your nice photograph will remedy that.

Thanks so much for responding so quickly!  I hope it’s still out there so I can call it by name. 😀