LUNCH TIME FOR LONG LEGGED FLY (?)
Location:  TONASKET WA, NEAR THE CANADIAN BORDER
I WAS TAKING PICTURES OF THIS BEAUTIFUL METALLIC GREEN FLY AND JUST AS I WAS FOCUSING, HE JUMPED AND GRABBED HIM(HER)SELF LUNCH! I’M THINKING IT’S SOME SORT OF LONG LEGGED FLY, BUT COULDN’T FIGURE OUT WHICH ONE. I FOUND ONE ON YOUR WEBSITE, WHICH LED ME IN THE DIRECTION TO GO, BUT THE WING PATTERN WAS DIFFERENT. I LOVE YOUR SITE AND AM IN AWE OF HOW MUCH YOU DO. ALBEIT, I HAVE DIAL-UP, BUT I CAN HARDLY KEEP UP WITH YOUR POSTING, LET ALONE PERUSE THE REST OF THE 1300 SOME PAGES. OH YEAH, THE FLY IS ABOUT 1/2” LONG AND WAS TAKEN ABOUT JULY 25TH, ON A SUNFLOWER LEAF.
CATHY

Long Legged Fly

Hi Cathy,
You are correct.  This is a Long Legged Fly in the family Dolichopodidae.  BugGuide has very good representation from nine different subfamilies.  Our amateur guess is that this lovely metallic green Long Legged Fly is in the subfamily Sciapodinae and the genus
Condylostylus, based on images posted to BugGuide.  We do not rue the day we abandoned dial-up for a short stint on DSL before moving to cable internet.

Long Legged Fly with Prey