Huge Ants Taking Over My House
Location:  South Florida
To What’s That Bug?,
I live in South Florida, and for the past few days, my house has been home for some humongous ants. At first, it was just the usual ”ewe…look at this huge bug!” (squishes ant with flipflop). But now, I see about 5 or 6 of these monstrous ants daily, especially in the early morning and night. These bugs look like very large queen ants, measuring from 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch long. They have reddish black heads and torsos, but the abdomen is dark black and quite large. All of these bugs that I’ve encountered have cellophane-like wings and big ”pinchers”. I want to get to the bottom of these pests, so I don’t have to worry about them crawling over me when I sleep. HELP!!!
Jackie

Florida Carpenter Ant Alate

Hi Jackie,
It appears as though you have Florida Carpenter Ant alates, the winged reproductive form that swarms and begins a new colony.  There may be a Florida Carpenter Ant colony somewhere in your home, and the presence of the alates over the past few days will eventually cease until the next swarming season.  You can find out more about the Florida Carpenter Ants,
Camponotus floridanus, on BugGuide.

Florida Carpenter Ant Alates

One Response to Florida Carpenter Ant Alates

1. Nīkka says:

Our home get these little flying ants inside the house in the lower portion of our house every year. What are they and how do I stop the infestation. They crawl all over the floor and window.