Varigated Vampire-Lobster-Ant?
Location:  Thomson, GA, USA
I like that name until you provide a more accurate one. This image was captured July 31, 2010 in my wife’s garden in Thomson, GA. The plant is a Black & Blue Salvia (Salvia guaranitica) and the insect is perhaps a centimeter long, minus antennae.
Cliff in Thomson

Sycamore Assassin Bug Nymph

Hi Cliff,
One of the ways we select letters to post is if they have an interesting subject line.  You had us going from the second word.  When we get a colorful description with a pop culture tone to it, we immediately try to guess what insect the person is trying to describe.  We have a decent track record in that arena, but your description had us totally stumped, but we were nonetheless intrigued.  Your insect is an immature Assassin Bug in the family Reduviidae, but at that point, our memory not being quite as keen as that of most people we know, we needed to turn to internet research.  We know where to research NOrth American insects and spiders.  That is BugGuide.  Your Assassin Bug is in the genus
Pselliopus, the Sycamore Assassin Bugs, which we quickly located on bugGuide,  but we are not comfortable identifying a nymph to the species level since they all look alike in this genus.

Thanks, folks.
I’m glad I was able to pique your interest.