Large black flying insect
Location:  Northern Indiana
Today I found this insect dying in my yard in northern Indiana. Ants were busy foraging on it. I could only see one pair of wings. I’ve never seen anything like this one before!
Nick

Mydas Fly

Hi Nick,
This is a species of Mydas Fly,
Mydas tibialis, which we identified by matching your image to photos posted to BugGuide.  According to our Audubon Society Guide to North American Insects and Spiders:  “Only a few species of mydas flies occur in North America.  … The adults are predatory and closely resemble wasps and robber flies.”

One Response to Mydas Fly

1. Vince1 says:

Found a mydas tibialis a few years ago and had a difficult time IDying it also. I was told that there aren’t many known populations of this insect in the midwest. I’m a naturalist at Rum Village park in South Bend, IN, (northern IN). Where in Northern IN are you, Nick? I noticed that another mydas tibialis photo was also posted from northern IN.

Vince