Velvet Ant in Sonoma County?
Location:  Sonoma Mountan Range, California
Hi, I found this fuzzy ant-like insect in a grassy meadow in jack london state park. Earlier this summer I saw one on the same mountain range a little north in Santa Rosa, also on open meadow. What is it? Looks like a ”velevet ant” but do you know the species? The camera was on a weird setting, so the light is a little orange, but I tried to adjust it to be more accurate
Mollyanne Meyn

Velvet Ant

Hi Mollyanne,
You are correct that this is a Velvet Ant.  We tried to color correct your image.  It appears that your specimen might be in the genus Pseudomethoca which is represented on BugGuide.  We would greatly welcome any input from experts in the family Mutillidae to assist in a proper species identification.

Thanks Daniel, from other  on the site, it looks most like anthracina to me. I love this website and service. many thanks for the response.