High altitude oddity
Location:  Mt. Mitchell, North Carolina, USA
Hi there!
I took this photo on Jult 10th, 2010 at about 4500 ft elevation near Mt Mitchell, NC, USA on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The closest ID I have is possibly some kind of thread-waisted wasp, but the antenna are feathered like a moth’s would be. It appears to be missing 2 legs on the left side, but otherwise seemed in good shape. Any idea what this may be?
Tony Murray

Crane Fly

Hi Tony,
This is a Crane Fly, and judging by his pectinate antennae, we believe he is a male.  He seems to resemble the image of
Ctenophora apicata that is posted on the Crane Flies of Pennsylvania website.  We are going to copy Dr. Chen Young who may be able to provide an identification for us, and we suspect he may request permission to post your image to his comprehensive website as well.

Confirmation from Dr. Chen Young
You are getting better in identifying crane flies.  Yes, it is a male Ctenophora apicata.
Chen