Dragonfly?
Location:  On the Moose River in the Adirondacks, NY
Hi again. This is Tristi from Oswego NY. 🙂 I have been shooting a lot of pictures of bugs this summer. Mostly dragonflies. I have a ridiculously huge Collection of Dragonfly pictures now. They are fascinating to photograph. Me and my boyfriend took a trip up north to the Adirondacks for some kayaking and I found this beautiful guy next to a river. It is unlike any other I have seen. It has the body shape of a dragonfly. Same type of eyes and legs that I have seen a million times but its beautiful metallic blue and green color and jet black wings struck me a very different. The wing shape and the way it flew wasn’t the typical dragonfly way. Just thought you and others would like to see it 🙂
Tristi

Ebony Jewelwing

Hi Tristi,
Though your Ebony Jewelwing,
Calopteryx maculata, is in the order Odonata along with the Dragonflies, it is taxonomically classified in Zygoptera, a different suborder.  Damselflies frequently fold their wings, unlike Dragonflies that rest with flat wings, and the flight of Damselflies is much more feeble than the darting movement associated with Dragonflies.  Sadly, we are woefully behind in responding to emails, so if you have any recently submitted images that did not get posted, please try to resubmit, and please only one species per letter.