Big Bug in Malibu!
Location:  Malibu California, in the hills.
Hello, we were at the top of Latigo Canyon in Malibu and were able to get this shot of a rather large bug. It flew to a flower, presumably for nectar and I was able to get it as it flew away. The body alone was 2.5 to 3 inches long, huge with the trailing legs and antenna. Thanks for any info!
Richard

Tarantula Hawk

Hi Richard,
What a beautiful image of a Tarantula Hawk leaving a stand of Matilija Poppies.  Matilija Poppies are magnets for pollinating insects, and Tarantula Hawks are frequently seen on flowers, especially Milkweed.  Tarantula Hawks are probably North America’s biggest wasps, and they are Spider Wasps in the family Pompilidae.  As the common name implies, female Tarantula Hawks hunt and paralyze Tarantulas and Trapdoor Spiders to feed to their young.  Your Tarantula Hawk is most likely in the genus
Pepsis (See BugGuide).

Tarantula Hawk

One Response to Tarantula Hawk

1. ~ Oh My Gosh.. Your Physic..I just saw one of these yesterday and it came right towards me.. and I wondered what it was.. so.. Thanks!!!~