Fishing Spider?
Location:  Ellsworth, Maine
We were vacationing in northern Maine and after a few days, this spider appeared on the dock with an eggsack. The eggsack then hatched and there were probably around 50-100 little spiders running around. A few days later, Mom and her babies had all disappeared. I looked through your website and it looks like a fishing spider, but I just wanted to check. She was rather large – her body was probably two inches long. In the picture you can sort of see all the babies in the web. We never actually saw her go in the water or leave the web.
Nyle

Fishing Spider with Spiderlings

Hi Nyle,
This photo is wonderful documentation of the maternal behavior of a Fishing Spider in the genus
Dolomedes.  The female begins by carrying her egg sac around in her chelicerae or fangs.  She will then weave her nursery web in a protected location and continue to guard the egg sac and the newly hatched spiderlings until they begin to disperse.  We believe the species is Dolomedes tenebrosus, though we would not rule out Dolomedes scriptus.