Long Haired June Beetle
Location:  near Lynden, WA – northwest WA
When we found this bug last night and didn’t know what it was, we came first to your site. Didn’t see any pictures of this, but maybe we missed some?
Seems to be a Long Haired June Beetle.
We’ve never seen this kind of bug in our area before – we live in the NW corner of Washington state. Are they native here? Or is this fellow lost?!
He can really grip with his poky little feet, and makes a hissing sound when he’s agitated.
”Herding Grasshoppers” Mama

Ten Lined June Beetle

Dear “Herding Grasshoppers” Mama,
We are quite intrigued by your signature, and we can’t help but wonder what the “Herding Grasshoppers” refers to.  We were also troubled that you were unable to locate any images of other Ten Lined June Beetles,
Polyphylla decemlineata, on our website, so we did a little check.  Since you identified this as a June Beetle in the subfamily Melolonthinae, we used our website search feature to hunt for June Beetles.  The first page of possibilities included two images of Ten Lined June Beetles.  We estimate that there are probably close to fifty images of this species on our site as it is found in most of the Western States and the Northwest portions of Canada as well.  The hissing noise you heard is produced by rubbing together of body parts and the sound is known as stridulation, a term that is defined on BugGuide.  We are especially fond of your image of this Ten Lined June Beetle taking flight since the photo clearly shows the rigid elytra or wing covers as well as the soft and flexible flight wings that are hidden under the hard elytra when the beetle is not in flight.

Ten Lined June Beetle in flight

Ahhh!  Many thanks!
I was searching under the wrong (scientific… or not) name.  That’s what I get for looking late at night :b
Isn’t “he” an interesting creature?  We were fairly surprised that such a big, heavy bug could fly.  We were wondering, further, if it’s okay to release him in western (coastal) Washington, or is he only native to the drier eastern part of our state?
And, btw, the name “Herding Grasshoppers” actually refers to my boys, not to bugs, although they all love bugs and frequently capture, observe, and release them.  “Herding Grasshoppers” – or trying to – is what parenting a bunch of energetic boys can often feel like 😀
We love poking around your site and thank you for your gracious (and patient) help,
Julie – “Herding Grasshoppers” Mama

HI again Julie,
One of our coworkers refers to keeping track of students as trying to “herd cats” so we figured the grasshopper reference was similar.  Your Ten Lined June Beetle is native to the coast as well as inland, so you are fine releasing it.

Laughing at the ‘herding cats’ – I certainly understand!
Again, from this mom and homeschooler, many thanks for the great resource you’ve created.
Julie

3 Responses to Ten Lined June Beetle

1. Christena says:

We had a strange invasion of bugs last night (07/16/13). The weather was very abnormal for western Washington, so maybe that has something to do with it? We do have flood lights that we leave on all night long so maybe this attracted them too? We have a very large (almost 2 inches long 3/4 inch wide) ten lined June beetle attached to screen door with hundreds of tiny black winged ant looking bugs all over our porch. All of the winged bugs appear to be dead. The beetle however is alive and does not want to leave our porch. I am not a bug lover, could you tell me if maybe I have a pest problem? I do have many flower beds and large raised bed vegetable garden, should I be concerned for my plants?
    I have pictures but don’t see how to attach them.

Here is a link to our standard submission form for Ask What’s That Bug. Please use Washington invasion as your subject line.

2. Craig wells jr says:

As of July 5 2016 a June bug landed on me in LaCenter Washington FYI