Yellow Bug found in Canyon de Chelly, AZ
My company takes a yearly overnight hiking trip in to Canyon de Chelly, a joint US National Park and Navajo Nation National Park. The first photo below was of a bug I’d never seen before. I grew up in Arizona (though, admittedly, not on the Reservation), and I’ve seen a lot of weird bugs. This one, as you can see, is yellow and brown, has great bug eyes, six legs, and wings. I don’t know the size, as this trip was a year ago, and I only found out about your site tonight. Its upward curved-nose is, to me, it’s most distinctive feature, but I’m no expert.
This year, my brother was on a trip to Mexico, and posted the second photo below. I believe the two bugs look very similar, though my Park-Guide fiancée disagrees. My brother has not yet returned from Mexico, and I’m not sure of the size of his bug, either. His was found on an organic coffee farm in (I think) Chuxnaban, Oaxaca.
Greenbandit
Canyon de Chelly, AZ, USA and Chuxnaban, Oaxaca, Mexico

Robber Fly

Dear Greenbandit,
Both insects are Robber Flies in the family Asilidae, but the image from Oaxaca does not have enough detail for us to say much more.  The Arizona specimen might be a Hanging Thief in the genus
Diogmites, many of which have green eyes, but we cannot find a match on BugGuide.  We will contact Eric Eaton who is familiar with Arizona insects to see if he can confirm that your Robber Fly is a Hanging Thief in the genus Diogmites.

Eric Eaton Responds
I’m not the best one to ask about these….Reminds me a little more of Blepharepium, though, with the shorter, stouter abdomen….
http://bugguide.net/node/view/323611/bgpage
Still, I’d have the person submit a copy of the image to Bugguide where the real experts can have a look.

One Response to Robber Fly

1. lttlechkn says:

Actually it looks much closer to Diogmites angustipennis

Link on BugGuide for reference… http://bugguide.net/node/view/72787/bgpage