I. D. this crazy looking bug, please.
Dear bugman: I think I’ve seen this bug before back in a summer night of 1992 in Japan. To my surprise, I saw this one at my dad’s house in Roseburg, Oregon. It was not easy to catch!!! With 30 legs it was very quick and could turn and move like Micheal Jordan!
Thank you, Dr. Lee Willis DDS
Southern OREGON

House Centipede

Dear Dr. Willis,
This common House Centipede is frequently found in the home where it startles residents.  House Centipedes are harmless nocturnal predators that will help keep the home clear of cockroaches and other undesirable creatures.

5 Responses to House Centipede

1. Will this centipede bite and leave a blister that looks like a burn?

2. They are a fright at first sight. My first (and only- but not for lack of using maximum peripheral vision at all times since) was last year in my laundry room.

3. centipedes can bite, never heard of a house cetipede doing so. They do have venom, and one could be allergic to the venom, but it’s not harmful otherwise.

4. MercuryCrest says:

I can ignore these for only so long. The other night, one fairly flew across my face whilst I was attempting sleep. Needless to say, that one had to be flailed, screamed at, and, finally, exterminated. Other than that, these guys are really beneficial.

(Nor did I get any sleep thereafter.)

5. I’ve been bitten by an 8 inch giant centipede…I can tell you, the bite is pretty overrated. I did take two antihistamines after the bite (just in case I was allergic) and the bites were a little painful, a little swollen and after a couple of days they oozed some watery liquid…and itched infuriatingly…but that was it, no terrifying horrible agonizing pain as some people describe it!!! (I still have a scar from the bites though, and I was bitten over a year ago)