Possible Female Hercules Beetle?
We found this monster in NE Oklahoma at my family’s cabin on 7-July. It was sitting motionless about 15 ft up an Oak tree. We have been identifying insects up there for about 20 years but have never come across one of these. Can you help identify it?
Lee
Kansas, Oklahoma

Female Eastern Hercules Beetle

Hi Lee,
You are absolutely correct with your identification of a female Eastern Hercules Beetle,
Dynastes tityus.

Thanks for the quick confirmation…your website is super cool by the way.  We’ve added to our favorites…
fyi funny enough, we had a run in with Japanese beetles on this trip as well…I collected them off of our juvenile peach trees for my daughters bug box.  In about every third peach three or four Japanese beetles were bored in….that was the first we’d seen that species as well up there.
Thanks again,
Lee

2 Responses to Female Eastern Hercules Beetle

1. I just found one of these tonight on our porch! I couldn’t believe how big it was!

2. wulfmother says:

this is amazing! I just found one of these beauties at work. I’ve lived in NE OK all my life and never seen one until today.