Large Beetle in Maryland
Hello! We discovered swarms of these beetles late yesterday flying low to the ground in our backyard, and upon closer look, the backyards of many of our neighbors. I was able to get a decent shot of the back of one of them today, but I’m having a difficult time identifying it. I’ve never seen a beetle like this before in our area, so I’m wondering if the swarms “tagged along” with a storm that blew through here yesterday morning. They are about the size of a nickel. Thanks!
Karen
Walkersville, MD

Green June Beetle

Hi Karen,
The Green June Beetle,
Cotinis nitida, like the one in your photograph is a highly variable species.  You can see examples of many of the variations on BugGuide.  Your letter is the second report we have received this week of Green Fruit Beetles swarming, a behavior that BugGuide describes as “The adults can often be seen in numbers flying just inches over turf.