Haldeman’s Iron Clad Beetle Photos
Haldeman’s Iron Clad Beetle Photos
• Your letter to the bugman    Hi would you like some good photos of a Haldeman’s iron clad beetle? I took the photos, but I can’t take credit for the ID or information.

Haldeman's Ironclad Beetle

Scott Fleenor at the Univ. Texas at Austin was kind enough to identify it. Here is his reply unedited:
“Keith,
This unlikely critter is known as Haldeman’s ironclad beetle (Zopherus haldemani). It’s knobbly, Rorschache-print pattern and constricted body form is distinctive. It’s extremely well armored and will turn an insect pin – entomologists are said to have drilled holes through the elytra in order to pin and mount them! The wing covers are sutured shut and do not open, and I believe the wings are vestigial. The adults and larvae live on fungi in decaying oak trees. Traditionally placed in the large family of darkling beetles (Tenebrionidae), they have recently been placed in a family of their own – the Zopheridae. This beetle graces the seal/emblem of the Southwestern Entomological Society, which publishes the quarterly journal The Southwestern Entomologist.
Thanks for the nice pic’s!
– Scott.”
Please properly cite him for the information.
Keith Minor
Austin, Texas

Haldeman's Ironclad Beetle

Hi Keith,
Thanks for sending us your awesome images of Haldeman’s Ironclad Beetle.  The view of the underside is so richly detailed.

Haldeman's Ironclad Beetle