stag beetle
the dog brought a stag beetle to the door as a gift. We live in the city so any cool bugs are a big deal! We rescued it & the kids drew pics of it. Noticed that there weren’t any 2010 pics of stag beetles so was hoping this might make the cut!
Rachel in Philadelphia
Northeast Philadelphia,PA

Reddish Brown Stag Beetle

Hi Rachel,
We actually have posted four letters with images of Stag Beetles thus far in 2010, but we can always use some new ones, especially photos as entertaining as the ones you have submitted of this handsome male Reddish Brown Stag Beetle,
Lucanus capreolus.  We can imagine Albrecht Dürer working with a living beetle in the same way that your young artists have.  If we decide to do a 2011 Calendar, your image is a strong contender.

Reddish Brown Stag Beetle as Artists' model

One Response to Stag Beetle

1. Dorothy Carroll says:

I was bit tonight by a black looking, hard shell bug with pitchers on the front of its head. The little stinker was in my pajama shorts. He had a good hold on me and I almost didn’t get him loose. He look like the picture of the stag beatle. I tried to mash him with my shoe and he wouldn’t die so I picked him up with Kleenex and flushed him down the toilet. Stag Beatles are poison are they? It itches where he bit me. Last night I didn’t feel anything bite me but I ached all over like I had the flu or something but I’m better today and now this hapoened. The place where he punched me smarts. I hope he is happy. I love I. Central Georgia.