Giant Garage Spiders!!
Ok. There are giant spiders (at least, giant according to my standards) that I find from time to time in my garage. Now, I keep killing them (I know, bug fanatics probably don’t like the idea of that) but they just keep coming back! Of the three I’ve found, two have been inside the garage itself and the third was in the hall way just inside the garage door. All of the sightings have been at night. I live in Houston, Texas (so southeast Texas) and while I’ve seen spiders they’ve always been tiny…NOTHING ever this big. Also, one time when I went after one with a flip-flop, I went to “strike” and it kind of hopped out of the way which leads me to believe they can jump (which also scares me). While I am not a fan of bugs in general there are two that I’m particula rly NOT a fan of: spiders and i can’t even say the other one’s name b/c it gives me chills but i’ll say it rhymes with coach.
Now, I know some spiders can be quite poisonous and I just want to know if these are dangerous?
Joseph
Houston, Texas – Southeast Texas

Rabid Wolf Spider

Hi Joseph,
This is a harmless Wolf Spider, and we are nearly certain it is the Rabid Wolf Spider,
Rabidosa rabida, a species that is profiled on BugGuide.

19 Responses to Rabid Wolf Spider

1. love the idea that something called a rabid wolf spider could be harmless! (By the way I also am totally creeped out by wolf spiders and always carefully check my bed, tub, and clothes when I stay in my aunt’s infested basement in MD)

2. A spider a day will keep the witch doctor away…lol

3. alphillious says:

A spider a day makes you go ‘holy mother of’

4. ryan says:

If you hate the other bugs you mentioned the ones that rhyme with coach (lol) theses spiders eat other spiders and those bugs they are not poisonous and are very aggressive towards large creatures like humans.

5. Samantha says:

I had a rude awakening with these the first time I move to the country. When we first moved in I left my boxes in the garage so when I brought them in the house, I was surprised by these spiders in my shoes. Fortunately , that was my fault and has not happend since. They do jump and do not use webs. They hang out in garages and doorways so they can jump and attack the other bugs trying to get in the house. I refuse to go close enough to squish one so I always keep a five gallon spray of raid to kill them when I see them. If you are against chemicals. Real peppermint oil will help keep them away. Soak ur windows and doors with the mint ( I use it as a spray while other just put drops everywhere ). This will at least help to keep them outside. I find two in my garage nearly everyday after work so I prefer a combination of both chemicals and mint spray .

6. Ed Ricketts says:

one of these things were in my pants this morning and YEOWCH does their bite hurt. it left a little welt, but i’m relieved to hear that they’re harmless. but i assure you, check your pants for spiders, expecially the ones that don’t build webs… they’re the ones that hide in things like this spider does.

7. Kathy says:

Ahh I just saw a huge one on my porch nice to know there harmless but I think I won’t be letting my girls play outside for a few weeks.. They are huge to me too a lil bit bigger than a hlf dollar

8. Sondra says:

I had to kill 2 within a week in my house. On the kitchen counter, and then my daughters bathroom. They were almost as big as the tarantulas in west Texas. Time to call the exterminator and get the yard sprayed.

9. Lisa says:

I moved to a home in Siloam Springs Arkansasvand these spiders are taking over. I was told to use sticky pads to catch spiders. I find around 50 spiders a day. I have a picture of the largest found. I do not know what they are. I do not want to kill them if they are not poisonous. I do not like to kill anything, It breaks my heart.

10. Joseph says:

I feel really bad now, I walked out onto my back porch and was freaking out about the size of this spider. So I sprayed the heck out of it with raid spider killer,it struggled for a few minutes. It finally died and I thought I was doing justice but now that I know they actually are harmless and kill other spiders , I feel bad. RIP spider.

Don’t fret about your uninformed actions. We are thankful our site has changed your potential reaction regarding further encounters with beneficial spiders.

11. Milrna says:

Get some guinea chickens instead of raid, The guinea chickens are the nature’s pest control. They will eat spiders, cocoroaches and even scorpions and little snakes. In my opinion every house should have guinea chickens.

12. Alex says:

Okay… I’m not really afraid or “Heeby-Jeebied” by spiders. I’ve had to end several arachnids lives out in my garage (North Houston, by the way) from wolf spiders to Black Widows, not a big deal…

Until just 15 minutes ago! I mean, scared, frightened and still have the “Heeby- Jeebies”!!!

I just saw this same spider in my garage. Well, with only one difference… it had wings!
    Yes, a SPIDER WITH FREAKIN’ WINGS, I tell you!!! And it looked exactly like the one in the picture associated with this thread except… With wings man!

This one creeped the hell out of me and I just need to say that there are some things that should have no business with the idea of flight, Spiders is definitely one of those things!

Has anyone ever seen these?

I took video of this mutant if interested, I just don’t know how to upload or paste it into a thread. Ask me and I can email it to whomever needs it.

Ubalagdamontfrabuuu!!!! Sorry, ithat was the Heeby- Jeebies typing!

13. Mary says:

Ummm no thank you harmless or not your dieing buddy….so I was doing some research on my phone on pineapple vinegar and out the corner of my eye I see something move then this Rabit Wolf Spider jumped on my bed I jumped up to get a shoe and now its gone….well im not sleeping tonight til its dead….problem is NOW I CANT FIND IT….The thought of this big a** spider crawling on. my face while I sleep makes my hairs stand up…hate spiders