Darth Maul bug in China
I have a grape tree growing in my back yard. I few months ago, as spring turned to summer, small black bugs, with white spots, started appearing on the tree (looking a lot like Shadows from Babylon 5.) I hosed the tree with water, and they disappeared. But now they are back, looking bigger and meaner! :s
It’s summer here now, with temperatures up to 40 C.
I just want to know if they are dangerous or not. After all, this is China, and you can never be sure of anything here….
HuanChu
Beijing, China

Lycorma delictula

Dear HuanChu,
Last Junea we received our first identification request from China for this immature Fulgorid Leafhopper which Karl, a longtime contributor to our website identified as Lycorma delicatula, the White Cicada.  Here is an excerpt from Karl’s response last year.

Another Update from Karl
Unknown Chinese Hemipteran
I dug a little deeper and found an interesting story behind this handsome creature.  The species is Lycorma delictula (Family Fulgoridae : Subfamily Aphaeninae) and it has the erroneous common name White Cicada. Originally from southern China, it has been on the move recently and appears to have made quite a nuisance of itself outside of its natural range, particularly on the Korean Peninsula. I even found one reference in a report on China-Korea trade relations where it was referred to as “adding insult to injury”. It makes a living by sucking tree sap. Regards.
Karl

One Response to Lycorma dilicatula: White Cicada from China

1. […] BugGuide.net, WhatsThatBug.com and the Natural History Museum. Some of these folks are quite the bug sleuths. It looks like these things are some kind of immature form of one of the following, which I image […]