striped beetle with fanned antennae
Hi bug man,
This beetle flew into our cabin in Flagstaff, AZ.
Bug lovers in AZ
Flagstaff, AZ

Ten Lined June Beetle

Dear Bug lovers in AZ,
Your subject line was so descriptive, we were certain you had a Ten Lined June Beetle before we even opened the image.  Your Ten Lined June Beetle,
Polyphylla decemlineata, or a closely related species in the same genus.  You can see more on BugGuide.

11 Responses to Ten Lined June Beetle

1. Since moving to Montana from Illinois six years ago, this has become one of my favorite beetles, even though I’ve only ever seen two of them.

2. drlazer says:

Thank you, bug man. I shared your nearly instant identification with my friends on facebook.

3. Janelle says:

I live in Oregon on five acres with a mix of farm/forest. I found this beetle in our dog’s plastic wading pool. I thought it had drowned as it didn’t move for two days. I scooped it out and put it in our mud room on a paper towel to dry out so I could take it to class I was teaching on garden insects for a summer camp, “Junior Master Gardeners.” After a night in the mud room, my husband called to me,” Did you know this bug was alive?” I ran to see and by gosh, he was moving his legs and antennae. My husband took him outdoors to see if he could survive 48 hours in the water and another 12 in our house, without food. Hope he made it. He was impressive!

Insects are quite resilient. We have numerous postings of insects and spiders that have survive immersion in water on our site.

4. Alb NM Each night after sundown, while I work in front of the garage. These seasonally cyclic beetles, Kamikaze dive into the pavement and struggle under the sodium light. I caught over 17 last night. The Desert Box Tortoises (we have five) absolutely love them. Crunchy outside, soft chewy inside. One waits at the door each morning, for it’s ‘meals on wings’. Even the 2″ baby turtle excitedly chases and catches them, even while buzzing their wings and hissing. :>)

5. JERRY says:

We just found our first one in our back yard in San Diego ca.

6. diane durkin says:

6-18-15
    just found one, belly-up in Smith River, Ca..SO beautiful……wish 4 more, only ones a bit more lively! just moved here from Palm Springs..a whole ‘nother different bug assortment to ponder! Such fun! ‘cept for the bananna slugs – which one has to learn to live with…some are quite beautiful…..

7. Rose Hadden says:

Thank you. We live here in Flagstaff Az. And have seen this hansom guy many times but I never new his or her name. We had a few make their way into our living room last night, I made hubby get the little guy to use its Velcro feet to stick to rag and carry him safely out doors. Thank you for answering my name question. I will use your site more often. Rose Hadden

8. Leslie says:

Just had two, frolicking under the streetlight over our driveway. My dog tried to catch one and seemed to get a mouthful of something he didn’t like, and it made him drool. He’s okay. Love the tufted antenna on these guys!

9. Susan says:

I just found my 1st one on the cement driveway In Corvallis Montana,, way west in the Bitterroot Valley. My grandkids thought it was really cool, specially when it started pumping its wings and hissing at us!

10. I just stepped on one thinkin it was a sewer roach. He is still moving well and i will leave him alone now. Whoda thought it was something else? Not me. I will checknon him in the morning since he is in the path of the ants.