(no subject)
Hi
I found these strange webs and what look like egg sacs in the trees in the garden. I was just wondering if you would be able to tell me what spider has made them as i’ve never seen anything like it before. The webs that i think contain egg sacs are about the size of a tennis ball.
Thanks, Zoe Lehan

Fall Webworm nest

Hi Zoe,
You did not provide us with a location for your images.  Your images are small files lacking in clarity and detail, but we suspect these are the nests of the Fall Webworm, and not the Eastern Tent Caterpillar.  According to BugGuide, with the Eastern Tent Caterpillar,
Malacosoma americanum:  “Tents appear in early spring, and caterpillars are seen until early summer.”  By contrast, the Fall Webworm, Hyphantria cunea, according to BugGuide builds:  “Weblike tents in branch tips where clusters of caterpillars strip foliage (by contrast, eastern tent caterpillar nests are built in tree crotches).” BugGuide also indicates: “Caterpillars are found June to September or October in the north; May to October in the south. Larva are most often noticed when they reach final instar and wander out of their home trees to find a place to pupate.”

Fall Webworm nest