Interested to know what the heck this is.
June 29, 2010
The past couple of months something has been biting me and my family members. I haven’t ever seen it though. I was thinking it might have been a spider of some kind but i think this is the culprit. I saw him dart across my floor and i gave chase. i tried to save the little guy but my girlfriend freaked out and killed it. I still managed to get some pics of it. I would really like to know what this is, Thank you!
p.s. its a little less than an inch long and maybe 2 to 3 millimeters wide.
Chuck
Southern Virginia, great dismal swamp area

House Centipede

Hi Chuck,
Thank you for writing in to inquire about this unfortunate harmless House Centipede, a frequent victim of Unnecessary Carnage.  Few examples of Unnecessary Carnage sadden us more that that of the beneficial predatory House Centipede.  Though it is too late to benefit the individual in your tragic photograph, perhaps future House Centipedes will be spared through education.  House Centipedes are generally nocturnal hunters that will prey upon cockroaches and other undesirable household intruders.  House Centipedes should be considered as household visitors despite their startling appearance.

7 Responses to House Centipede Carnage

1. jay jay says:

i am trying really hard not to let them freak me out. i love bugs thay are so cool, but the legs man ,,, the legs

2. nana003 says:

I wanted to let you know that the house centipede that so tragically lost his life (picture aboved) do so not in vain. Today he has saved the life of another. I learned from your site and set the (ahem) little guy free!

Thanks for letting us know that our Unnecessary Carnage page is actually beneficial and not merely sensationalistic reporting.

3. Tracie says:

As Jay Jay wrote, it is the legs. While I try not to kill the bugs in my house, I do freak out and run from them in hopes that they do the same. I have seen these guys at an office I used to work at so big, I thought it was a mouse. I would always find them in the sink in the office kitchen. I hate the sound and feel of crushing bugs (that sounds so bad I know) so fortunately for bugs in my house I don’t kill them but try to set them free. Especially since I got hooked on this website, I have been liberating lots of little bugs. Even taking pictures of them.

4. Madrid in Chicago says:

There is another House Centipede that will NOT be victim to Unnecessary Carnage thanks to this page…. Any danger to my cat? Not sure who would win if they go at it.