So many moths…
Hello Daniel,
Every morning this Spring, and Summer so far, the wall under the safety light has been full of many types of bugs.  From large horse flies to millipedes to beetles and grasshoppers, the variety has been unending.  The most diverse specimens have been the moths.  Here are a few of the most elegantly dressed that I have been unable to identify.  They are quite extraordinary, and I’d love to learn more about them.  The photos were taken between 5/16 and 6/25.  I appreciate any help you may be able to send my way.
Thank you so much,
R.G. Marion
Cosby, TN

Four Horned Sphinx

Hi R.G.,
Small brown moths tend to look alike to us, and we may struggle for hours and not identify the many photos you have sent in, but there is one that we plan to attempt to identify.  Meanwhile, your final photo is of a Four Horned Sphinx or Elm Sphinx, Ceratomia amyntor, which we quickly identified on Bill Oehlke’s excellent website.  It is called the Four Horned Sphinx because of the caterpillar.